Tuesday, June 19, 2012

heading to South Africa!



not for a couple of months, but still...

Now that the trip is booked, I'm focused on the need for a new camera.  I've got a 6 year old point and shoot pocket camera that I love, but that definitely isn't going to cut it for safari.  I'm looking at a DSLR (Canon EOS Rebel) or an advanced point and shoot (Canon G-12).  I'd kill for a Best Buy or camera store where I could test these out, but alas I am thousands of miles from the convenience of US shopping.  Luckily   I have great friends with cameras offering to let me play around with theirs just to see.  Still, any advice from readers would be welcome; I want to make sure my pictures are as good at the one above (from the resort where we'll be staying).

2 comments:

Anne At Large said...

Hmm. I inherited an older DSLR and I really appreciate it but I don't think I really use it up to its potential. There is so much you can do now with the nicer point and shoot cameras and they are not as bulky and "look at me I'm a tourist"y. I love taking the big beast out when I'm going somewhere I know is going to be lovely but I feel like a smaller one would get whipped out more often on a whim.

Point is, a big DSLR is a big commitment. Not just the price, but you need to figure out how to use some of the bells and whistles in order to justify the price, in my book.

Good luck! Keep us updated on what you decide!

Nomads By Nature said...

I am SO JEALOUS of your upcoming trip! We are on the tail end of our tour in Mozambique - Kruger was just an hour and a half drive away over the border. LOVED LOVED LOVED safari -- took lots of pictures.

Best advice I can give: you will want a telephoto lens - as big as you can get. Our bigger camera (which is in Moz with my family still/ I'm already States side with the dog) had a stability feature to help with focussing. The telephoto is needed to get great detail and a feeling of being RIGHT THERE.

We also had the smaller pocket ones - one had a 10X magnification zoom, which was great for really up close picture subjects, but it never took as great a shot as the larger camera with the lens attachment.

And when you spoke with others comparing camera's it was always the lens that made the difference in great pictures. Having a camera that can set on rapid fire, is great for action shots (birds wings and running animals. Everything was digital, so it was easy to take a lot of shots and toss out what didn't work. Feel free to browse through our safari photos and see what our results were. Will try to get more info on the exact lens we used.